As Dori mentioned on Saturday, we have been having a bit of a Spring Clean here in the Yellow House this last week or so. We have also been doing some rearranging of the furniture, which always freshens up the feel of a place, don’t you think? It is almost like we are living in a different house after just moving a few items of furniture from one side of the room to the other! :-) We both like the new layout, and it seems to be working well so far.
We have also taken the opportunity to get rid of some old junk that we are never likely to use again, as well as some books and DVDs that we will be donating to charity. It is like clearing out all the old stuff frees up the space for new, and better, things to come into our lives – physically and spiritually. Right now the house feels almost spacious, which is some feat believe me! The spring clean has given the whole place a fresh and revitalising feel to it, and I think we both feel better for it :-)
On Monday we also had a filing cabinet delivered, which was another driver in getting everything cleared out and rearranged. Sadly, the cabinet came as a flat-pack and I had the task, with help from Dori, of putting the dumb thing together. You may guess that I am not a fan of self-assembly furniture! LOL I am a complete klutz when it comes to anything practical like that, which may be a little surprising when you know that my brother is a carpenter/joiner. I guess he got the practical gene and I was left with the brains and the beauty ;-)
Anyhoo, I set about trying to fathom the instructions to assemble the cabinet. To be fair, I have seen many worse instructions than those given. These at least had diagrams that (mostly) showed what should be done and what went where. We did have one panicky moment when the cabinet had been assembled to the point that the sides, back and top were all fitted, and the runners for the drawers had been screwed in and then we looked at the diagram and it seemed to suggest that the runners had been put in the wrong way round. Eek! As it happened, the diagram was wrong and we were right, so the crisis was averted.
It was a hot day, and for a klutz it was hard work. But after about 3 hours and having stabbed myself at least 4 or 5 times with a screwdriver, the thing was complete! Hurrah! It is now sitting in the corner of the room, having already been almost filled to overflowing with various bits of detritus and paperwork from elsewhere in the house. Today is a shredding day, as we will be going through all our old files to see what we can get rid of and free up some space in the already groaning new cabinet.
Onwards and upwards!